2009-01-01

On Programming Languages

Business code should never be developed using a non memory managed programming language. Being either reference counting or garbage collection (although reference counting is time predictive it can make your application more laggy and can not alone detect object cycles so garbage collection is the winner nowadays as Jamie Zawinski says). When writing business code you should not lose time managing memory when the computer can do it better for you.

The programming languages I recommend are:
  • Java (for most applications including business or enterprise applications)
  • Python (for any small application for computer administration)
  • C/C++ (only for low level or computing intensive code)
Some other programming languages that I neither recommend nor discourage:
I do not like scripting languages because I want my code to work flawlessly and not compiled programming languages do not allow me to catch any error at compile time.

No comments: